Sunday, March 26, 2017

Happy to be Here,

A teapot involves too many steps for me, especially on days like today. I just filled up the big, giant mug my cousin painted for me this summer at the pottery place in our little downtown. After three minutes, the microwave told me the water was hot enough. I don't care about the specifics; I'm hardly picky about how hot it is or how long the tea steeps. Sometimes I end up forgetting about it and have to reheat it hours later. No matter. I still drink it.

I'm just happy to have finally made it to this drinking tea part of my day. It's been a long one, filled with sullen anger from my husband, which led to an ugly argument before he went out the door on a trip for work for most of the week. Sigh. That left me crabby and angry with three little kids on a cold, drizzly day. Suffice to say it wasn't my most stellar mom day, but I managed to play a few fun Uno games, make homemade muffins for Ben's baseball game, and feel grateful for that game, which pulled me out of the house and out of my witchy mood.

And now it's evening, and my kids are chomping on apples while they wind down and watch Odd Squad before heading to bed. I'll visit their rooms one at a time, padding along in my ugly but warm and comfy Ugg slippers, carrying my big mug of tea. First I'll read two picture books to Kiefer, then I'll read a handful of poems from Kwame Alexander's The Crossover, and then I'll head downstairs to Lorelei's room where I'll finish my tea and a chapter of Short by Holly Goldberg Sloan.

And then, the house will be quiet. I'll walk Sunny one more time and head to bed early. I'm already looking forward to Monday morning. I love Mondays--a fresh new week, a fresh new day, a fresh new start. It's like a reset button.

See you then.

7 comments:

GirlGriot said...

Hope story-and-poem reading went beautifully. Hope your week is great!

Unknown said...

I am a die hard tea drinker. Often the favorite part of my day whether morning or night time. And love the intro of a teapot involving too many steps...so true. Thank goodness for my Keurig machine :)

Anonymous said...

Such optimism for Mondays...wow, I'm impressed. I'm also impressed with how you are juggling story time with your three children. That is awesome! Hope your tea feels a bit like a celebration-- it should!
-Lanny

Anonymous said...

Such optimism for Mondays...wow, I'm impressed. I'm also impressed with how you are juggling story time with your three children. That is awesome! Hope your tea feels a bit like a celebration-- it should!
-Lanny

Unknown said...

I love the way you described your day- with just enough detail that I could picture your actions. And the teapot part was especially wonderful.

Unknown said...

I love the way you described your day- with just enough detail that I could picture your actions. And the teapot part was especially wonderful.

Krista said...

Been there. Done that. But certainly never wrote about it with such fabulous voice.
No worries, Sister. You've got this! Any day that ends with stories, poetry and tea is a GOOD day.